- Year of Call
- Devil Masters
- Andrew Young QC
- Gary Allan QC
- Sheriff Chris Shead
Contactcatherinesmith@amadvocates.co.uk 07760 276226 Check Faculty diary
Catherine’s principal areas of work are reparation and public law. She specialises in personal injury, judicial review and clinical negligence cases. Other areas in which she has acquired experience whilst an advocate include commercial contracts and criminal trials and appeals. In her personal injury work, Catherine acts regularly for pursuers and defenders.
She has been Standing Junior Counsel to the Advocate General since 2012 and on the Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Counsel since 2015. In 2017 she was appointed as an Ad Hoc Advocate Depute.
Catherine appears regularly in the Court of Session and the High Court, and appeared before the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council (now the Supreme Court) in the cases addressing the issue of Crown disclosure of evidence in 2008.
Catherine has a strong commitment to promoting the rule of law and human rights and has participated in international conferences and worked with foreign legislatures on these issues. Catherine is a founding member and the Deputy Chair of JUSTICE Scotland, the Scottish arm of the London based NGO, and Co-Founder and Chair of the John Smith Centre for Public Service based at the University of Glasgow.
Education & Professional Career to Date
Solicitor, DM MacKinnon, Oban
Trainee Solicitor, Thompsons, Glasgow
Paralegal, Minter Ellison, Sydney
Deputy Director of LINKS, an NGO promoting conflict resolution and state building in the former Soviet Union
MA (Hons) History and LLB (Glasgow, 1996); Diploma in Legal Practice (Strathclyde)
- Ad Hoc Advocate Depute (2017–present)
- Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Counsel
- Standing Junior to the Advocate General
- Curator of the Advocates Library
- Member of the Human Rights and Rule of Law Committee
- Deputy Chair and Founding Member, JUSTICE Scotland
- Acting Chair, John Smith Centre for Public Service
- Director of Advocacy, Beyond Borders
- Trustee, John Smith Memorial Trust
- Member of Faculty of Advocates Committees reporting on: Proposals for a Bill of Rights; Victim’s Rights (Scotland) Regulations; Human Trafficking (Scotland) Bill; Victims and Witnesses (Scotland) Bill.
- Former Faculty of Advocates Council Elected Representative, for junior counsel less than 7 years called
- Former Member of the Faculty of Advocates Fees and Legal Aid Committee
- Former Management Committee Member of Arnot Manderson Stable
FAI into a death in police custody
Leading Court of Session authority on the onus of proof in mitigation of loss in credit hire cases
Leading authority from the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council on the Crown duty of disclosure and the circumstances in which a devolution issue properly arises
Petition for judicial review regarding an injured police officer’s entitlement to a police pension as an injury on duty award
Jeremy Milliken v AIB  unreported
Commercial proof regarding the contractual entitlement of a banker to his bonus, commencing on the day RBS Chief Executive Stephen Hester turned down his £1 million bonus and concluding on the day Sir Fred Goodwin (as was) was stripped of his knighthood
Five bench criminal appeal deciding the modern definition of murder
Appeal in a negligence case concerning apportionment of contributory negligence after a fall from a ladder